Thursday, July 19, 2012

Barbecue Tempeh Pizza

This is because I love pizza and I love barbecue sauce. I used to bake potatoes to use solely as a medium to consume barbecue sauce. I like my barbecue sauce to be smoky and a little spicy and my favorite store bought one is "Stubb's Smokey Mesquite."


1 pizza crust, store bought or home made
8 oz. package of tempeh, sliced thinly crosswise
Extra virgin olive oil
About 1/2-3/4 c. barbecue sauce, separated, store bought or home made
Pickled jalapenos, as many as you want
About 3/4 -1 c. grated vegan cheese (I like Daiya brand best)
1/2 a small red onion, thinly sliced
 

1) Preheat the oven according to the directions for the crust you are using. Spread a thin layer of barbecue sauce on the crust and thinly slice the tempeh.




2) Preheat a little olive oil in a saute pan and brown the tempeh on both sides. This will take about 5 minutes on the first side and 3 minutes on the second side.

 

3) Once the tempeh is done let it cool for a few minutes and then toss it in a little barbecue sauce to coat.





4) Add the tempeh to the pizza and place it evenly over the crust. Add the jalapenos evenly over the tempeh.

Photo courtesy of Christina Lehner
5) Add the cheese and top with the onions. Bake according the the instructions for the crust you are using and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment