Friday, July 20, 2012

Cherry Tomato Salad

I don't know if I would even call this a recipe, it's more of a way to use up cherry tomatoes. I'm the only person in my family who enjoys raw tomatoes and yet every summer I insist on growing copious amounts of cherry tomatoes in our garden. Faced with such bounty I must eat this salad almost every day for lunch or else be buried in a pile of cherry tomatoes and a knowing, "I told you so."

The amounts below would serve about 2 people. It's easy to cut it in half to serve one, but really put in any amount of each vegetable that you want. Incidentally, if you were to use 1/2 c. of each vegetable you will be getting the 5 daily servings of vegetables recommended by the USDA.



About 10-15 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 a red onion, diced
1 avocado, diced
1/2 a large cucumber, peeled, seeded & diced
2-4 fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons (optional)
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar and/or fresh lemon juice
Sea salt and black pepper to taste

1) Chop the vegetables and place them in a large bowl.

2) Drizzle the remaining ingredients over the salad, season with salt and pepper and toss.

No comments:

Post a Comment