Monday, August 13, 2012

Macro Millet (GF)


Over the course of two separate winters I studied and attempted to eat mostly Macrobiotic food. "Why?" you might ask. "Why not?" say I. I found the diet too restrictive to follow long-term and I couldn't get into many of the particular spiritual philosophies, but I still had a wonderful time eating the food and I agree with the basic ideas of eating and living healthfully and intentionally. I was introduced to a lot of really wonderful concepts and foods through Macrobiotics - sea vegetables, body scrubs, twig tea, and various whole grains that I had never tried before.

Millet is a seed grass that is mainly cultivated in Africa. It is usually recommended you toast the millet before cooking it which gives it a nice nutty flavor. I adore gluten, it's one of my favorite proteins, but this recipe can be gluten free if you use GF Tamari in place of shoyu (shoyu is a naturally brewed soy sauce that I also learned about through Macrobiotics). Arrowhead Mills and Bob's Red Mill both sell packaged millet, but it's usually a bit cheaper to purchase it from the bulk section if you can.

1 c. dried millet
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1/2 a small red onion, minced
1 carrot, scrubbed or peeled and grated or minced
2 c. liquid, any combination of water and vegetable broth (you could use all water or all broth or a mix)
2 Tbsp. shoyu or gluten free tamari
Pinch of sea salt
Optional additions: cooked adzuki or black beans, diced tofu, any sea vegetable

1) Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the millet, carrot and onion. Stir the millet around and let it toast until it becomes a tan color and smells kind of like corn tortillas (about 7 or 8 minutes).


2) Meanwhile bring the liquid to a boil in a sauce pan. Once the liquid comes to a boil the millet should be about done toasting. Add the millet, carrot, onion mixture to the liquid and give it a stir. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cover. Let it simmer for 25-30 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed.

3) Fluff and serve.

Serves 4 (side note: my kids love this, so maybe yours will too).

2 comments:

  1. I just saw millet at the grocery store and wondered how to use it. Thanks for the timely post! - Kristel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! Let me know how it turns out (sorry I didn't notice this comment on here for a while).

    ReplyDelete