Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Potato Leek Soup

This is my favorite soup to make in the late summer and early fall. I don't want to toot my own horn, but I think this is the best potato leek soup I've tried and I'm kind of a potato leek soup snob. Most of the time there is milk in potato leek soup, but this uses soy milk or any other nut milk. Just don't accidentally use vanilla flavored milk like I once did.



2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
4 leeks, sliced lengthwise and then into half-moons and washed
4 medium yukon gold potatoes, 1/2" dice
6 c. vegetable stock
1 c. plain soy milk
1-2 Tbsp. fresh herbs, my favorite combination is thyme and flat leaf (Italian) parsley
Sea salt and black pepper
Juice of 1 fresh lemon

1) Heat the oil in a soup pot and saute the leeks until soft, about 5-7 minutes.

2) Add the potatoes, broth and salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.

3) Turn off the heat and add the soy milk, fresh herbs and lemon and adjust the salt and pepper if necessary.

This soup is lovely served with home made Garlic Bread. This serves 6-8 depending on what else you're serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment