Monday, October 29, 2012

Miso Lemon Tahini Sauce

With roasted asparagus and shallots.
This is high in protein and delicious over grilled or roasted vegetables, especially asparagus or broccoli. It's also good on veggie burgers, croquettes, baked potatoes, or stirred into leftover rice. If you know someone who thinks vegetables are bland, give them some roasted vegetables with this sauce drizzled on top. My almost two year old daughter eats it with rice and adzuki beans all the time.

1/3 c. tahini
1 Tbsp. light miso
1 tsp. shoyu or tamari
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
Water to thin out the consistency if necessary

1) Whisk it all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Add water, a little at a time, and continue to whisk until the sauce is smooth and drizzles nicely.

This makes a little over 1/3 cup of sauce.

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to learn what Miso and Shoyu are and add them to my pantry so that I can try this recipe.
    My husband was just told by his doctor to cut dairy and red meat from his diet (which I've been wanting to do for a while) so your blog is going to become very helpful during this learning process for us :)
    ~Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like the sauce! Miso is a fermented bean or grain paste - usually soy but it could be other things (like barley). They have it at Cub by the refrigerated tofu and at HyVee in the health market section by the milks across from the bulk section. It's a little pricey but it lasts forever and you can use it for lots of other things.

    Shoyu is a naturally brewed soy sauce. It's at the St. Peter co-op in the Asian section on the bottom shelf. They might also have it in the health market section at HyVee, I can't remember. You could also replace it with Tamari if you wanted to.

    Let me know how you guys like the recipe & if you make any delicious changes to anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made this to pour over steamed broccoli and it was delicious! Great combo with the miso, lemon, and dijon. I used Bragg's aminos in place of the Shoyu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you liked it! This is one of my favorite sauces.

    ReplyDelete