Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Blueberry Cobbler

I am not a baker. Traditionally I do not like to bake, my baked goods have never really turned out that well and I really don't like to eat baked goods that much. However, once I discovered vegan baking a lot of that changed. I still don't really care for baked goods or sweets myself. But I love baking vegan treats for other people. I have no idea why, but whenever I bake a vegan recipe it turns out great even though the things I used to bake in the past using dairy or eggs never worked out for me. Yay! This recipe is the only baked good recipe I have ever made up myself. I made it up for when company comes over because we don't eat dessert and so I'm usually at a loss for what to make when I'm suddenly faced with the need to prepare a dessert. This is quick and easy and it goes really well with that Coconut Bliss ice cream made out of coconut milk (which costs a million dollars but none of us should be eating ice cream every night anyways, so eating better ice cream less often is probably a good thing).


1 12-16 oz. bag of frozen blueberries (kept frozen until just before using)
1 1/4 c. unrefined sugar (Trader Joes has a good price on this)
1 1/2 c. spelt flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/8 tsp. ground clove
1/2 c. non-hydrogenated margerine, such as earth balance buttery spread, melted in a small pan over the stove (it will curdle if you microwave it)
3/4 c. any plain nut milk (almond, soy, etc.)
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly coat a 9 x 12 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

2) In a medium bowl combine 1 c. of unrefined sugar with the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sea salt and clove. Whisk well to combine.

3) In a large bowl beat together the melted buttery spread, milk, lemon juice and vanilla extract until mixed well. Gradually add the flour mixture a little at a time (in about 3 batches) and mixed until smooth.

4) Remove the frozen blueberries from the freezer and place them in a medium bowl along with the other 1/4 c. of unrefined sugar and stir to coat the blueberries in the sugar (some sugar will remain at the bottom of the bowl and that's fine).

5) Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread it out evenly. Then evenly dump the blueberries over the batter without pressing them down or stirring.

6) Bake until the top is golden brown and the center of the cobbler does not jiggle if you shake the pan a little, 35-40 minutes. Let it cool a bit before serving.

This makes at least 12 servings and could be made with raspberries or peaches or strawberries instead of blueberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment