Friday, November 16, 2012

Mango Chutney Barbeque Sauce

I got the idea to use mango chutney in barbeque sauce from a garden burger cookbook I have. The original recipe used liquid smoke to get a smokey flavor, but I don't like liquid smoke so I use chipotle chile powder instead. You could also try replacing the chipotle chile powder with smoked paprika or a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. I also added some vegan worchestershire sauce to mine and a few other goodies. This is my favorite condiment to serve with sweet potato fries.


1c. ketchup
1/4 c. mango chutney (I like hot, but you could use mild)
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. chile powder
1 tsp. chipotle chile powder
A small drizzle of pure maple syrup
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. vegan worchestershire sauce (I use Wizzard brand)
Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)

1) Place all of the ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil as you whisk everything together.


2) Reduce to a simmer and cook, partially covered, for 20-25 min. Make sure to give it a stir and scrape the sides and bottom of the pan every 5 minutes or so.

3) Let it cool a bit and the puree with an immersion blender or in a blender. Transfer to a glass container or jar and store in the fridge for up to a week.

This makes about 1 1/2 c. of barbeque sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment