Monday, December 17, 2012

Three Sisters Stew

I don't know if I can call this my recipe or not. My sister-in-law, Kristel, made this when we were at her house once and told me it had cumin and cinnamon in it. I tried to recreate it at home later based upon my memory of what was in it. I don't know how close I've come to the original recipe, but it looks the same and tastes great. Of course the "three sisters" refers to the Native American gardening technique of the same name that involves planting squash, corn and beans together.


1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 tsp. cinnamon, scant
1 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and cut into a 1/2" dice
1 1/2 to 2 c. vegetable stock
1 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes or 2 cups of fresh tomatoes, diced, with the liquid
1 15. oz can of butter beans, rinsed and drained
1 c. fresh or frozen corn kernels
Cilantro to garnish, if desired

1) Heat the olive oil in a soup pot and toast the cumin seeds in the oil until they become fragrant, about 45 seconds.

2) Add the onions and saute until soft, about 5-7 minutes, and ten add the squash and the other spices and saute for about 5 minutes.

3) Add the tomatoes and just enough vegetable stock to barely cover. Bring the stew to a boil, reduce to a simmer and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes until the squash is tender.

4) Add the corn and beans and simmer for about 5 more minutes. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.

This makes about 4-6 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment